Thursday, July 22, 2010

Restaurants and Food Allergies



Most parents agree that fast food is not healthy for their children, allergies or not, but when you have errands to run or you are on a road trip, it is almost unavoidable. For kids with allergies it is more than unhealthy, it is dangerous. We have given up fast food almost completely, and for the most part, I don't miss it. Eating out as a family or for special occasions, however, is a whole other story.

You've got to assume that whatever they're serving could contain your allergen even if it doesn't seem like it would logically contain it. For example, my son is allergic to corn. Corn syrup is often added to things like sausage, bread, even chicken soup. So, I have made it a habit to ask before we go.

I've called more than a few restaurants with my list of questions. I ask things like, do you make your food on site or is it prepackaged? What is in your bread? What do you use in your breading? What oil do you fry in? Do you share fryers? And, the list goes on depending on the type of restaurant I'm talking to.

I’ve found that for the most part, they are more than happy to answer my questions, and if they can't answer me, find someone who can. I have even had a store manager tear off a label from a box in their kitchen and bring it to me so I could check it myself. Don’t ever be afraid to ask. Also, a lot of larger chains post allergen information on their websites. So, it is a good idea to check the website before you call so you're asking the right questions.

Through my effort, we've found a few local restaurants that are both tasty and safe for our whole family, and we love supporting local businesses that have been helpful and accommodating to our special needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment