Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Cooking From Scratch Isn't Really as Hard as You Think

There was a time when the thought of cooking anything from scratch terrified me, and it wasn’t just the recipes. It was all the time and work involved. However, my need to feed my little angel eventually overwhelmed my fear.

There were definitely days when it felt like I never left the kitchen. Cooking grew tiresome, and I longed for a quick fix from a restaurant or a fast food chain. It was in those moments that I tried to figure out ways to make this whole process a little more efficient.

I started making a couple batches of pancakes, separating them with wax paper and freezing them in a freezer bag. When I needed one, I just popped it in the toaster just like the store-bought boxed kind. I did the same thing with waffles, biscuits, rolls and bread (reheated the rolls and bread in the oven). I learned how to freeze my own pizzas, french fries, pot pies and lasagnas. When I made a dinner, I always made sure I had enough for leftovers to ease lunch time blues the next day. I mixed extra cookie dough and refrigerated it for a quick afternoon snack.

Once I got into a routine and figured out how to handle all this extra cooking, I felt like I had accomplished the impossible in providing safe food for my son while avoiding never-ending days in my kitchen.

You can feed your family allergy safe food without being chained to your oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment