Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Eggsperiment



One of my son’s problem foods is egg. We found this food to be a problem during our GF/CF trial when I just couldn’t figure out what was still causing his digestive issues. We cut out eggs and voila, no more symptoms.

I have heard of some people sensitive to eggs being able to eat free range, farm fresh eggs, and that got me thinking. What if it’s how they keep and feed the chickens that makes my son react? So, I looked into it. Corn is one of the major foods fed to commercial egg producing chickens.

Corn is more than a problem for Jackson. Ingestion causes severe vomiting and diarrhea almost immediately. The last time he was exposed, he vomited about every 5 minutes until we got him to the Urgent Care to get a shot.

There’s new research that shows that infants can be exposed to peanut protein through their mother’s breast milk, and I wondered if the corn protein could be passed into a chicken’s egg. I’m no scientist, but my parents have a farm. They raise chickens for the eggs, and they agreed to join with me in a little eggsperiment (hehe).

While their chickens are free range, my parents still supplement with chicken feed. They found a feed that was free of corn and switched as soon as possible, we decided to wait a few months for the corn to get out of their system.

I just received my first carton of eggs yesterday and immediately started our experiment.

Day one I made muffins using the corn-free, farm fresh eggs. So far, no symptoms.

1 comment:

  1. That's really exciting that he's had no reactions to the eggs so far. It's so hard to go back to store bought eggs after having free range farm fresh ones (that a friend gave me). That's why I just need to raise my own chickens. Hopefully these eggs will be the answer for him - egg wise! :)

    ReplyDelete