Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Veggie Power

Check out this yummy kale my mom gave me fresh from her garden today!

[sorry for yet another crummy iPhone photo, I still haven't unloaded my CF card]

She gave me kale and I made a salad. I figured I would share how I make my own salad and dressing.

First I start with whatever greens I feel like using. Today it's kale, obviously. Whatever other veggies looked good from the market. Today that's tomatoes and broccoli. I know I might be breaking all kinds of pairing rules, but the point is to eat what you like, that is available and as local as possible. I try to add a protein of some kind. Today is pecans. Mmmmm. Makes me think of pie and Thanksgiving, but I digress. Then the dressing.



Equal parts oil and vinegar. I use olive oil and apple cider vinegar mostly, but I've also tried balsamic and grape seed oil. The apple cider vinegar is super healthy, and the olive oil helps your body better absorb the licopene in the tomatoes. So, that's my go to combo. Sweeten with honey to taste. Add a little acid. In this case I used lime juice. Pour over the salad and toss with salt and fresh cracked pepper, and its a meal. Of course today I'm carb loading for the race Saturday, so I'm eating a bowl of brown rice and quinoa, too.

The fact that I haven't had a single piece of candy or junk food since the 1st means I'm slowly conquering this sugar addiction one meal at a time. Of course, wanting to feel like a million bucks when I run this race Saturday has a lot to do with it.

I don't eat healthy to LOOK a certain way. I eat healthy to FEEL a certain way. Running has proven to me over and over again that the quality of my runs/workouts and my ability to push that extra 10 minutes or conquer that daunting hill, it is all connected to the kind of food I put in my body. All calories are not created equal. Now if I could just remember that AFTER I cross the finish line. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment