Friday, May 11, 2012

Kindergarten Graduation

Jackson and his teacher
Super big smiles. Bebopping his little head through the songs. Of course he knew all the words, he LOVES music and has an uncanny ability to memorize things quickly. He was so proud and so happy to finally be a first grader. So proud he was still talking about it when he went to bed tonight.

My autistic son just graduated from Kindergarten, and loved every minute of the ceremony and reception. So why am I so overtaken with fear and sadness? Why am I sitting here hoping that typing this out and sending it into the void of cyberspace will bring some comfort? Should it hurt like this? Maybe it's the struggles we went through this year. Maybe it's the fear of the unknown, facing another school, another schedule, another transition. Or maybe it is yet another sign that I'm not as well adjusted to his diagnosis and all these changes as I have made myself believe I am.

As I look to others further along on this journey, I see no sign that this burden gets easier to bear as our children grow. Why do I expect it to get lighter with every milestone? Why do I get disappointed when a goal met often gives way to two more we didn't see. Am I still holding on to hope that autism is curable, that I can fight this fight and win, that I can somehow put this diagnosis in the grave and leave it behind? That would explain feeling like a failure when faced with the fact that he isn't cured, that we haven't left autism behind. That would explain the desperation and anger that wells up when I look back at how much we have fought with so little to show for the struggle. It would explain the disappointment when I'm forced to accept that victory for us isn't measured in hearing something like "you are now autism free" but in slow irregular progress. Progress toward what exactly? What is the end goal? For him to be typical? Dare I say normal? Is that really what I want? To be able to stand on the other side of this and say to myself and all those around me, see I did conquer this. To feign humble acceptance of God's plan only to harbor a desire to prove I won't be defeated by this nameless faceless enemy, that I will overcome it and free my son from its grasp, that I'm strong and capable and self sufficient, the perfect mother, chosen for this trial because I am up for the challenge. Is that what I want, to prove I'm not a crumbling mess afraid of first grade? Is it all about me, and this guilt I can't shake, that somehow there is more I could do, more I could try, more I could be?

Maybe I shouldn't hit the publish button on this one. I don't have any answers tonight, only questions. God, help me. I can't seem to accept my own humanness much less the diagnosis given to my son four years ago. Four years, so long but so short. Oh to learn to accept my failures and shortcomings and rest in my Savior's success and perfect provision. Oh to have nothing to fear and nothing to prove. God, help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment