Thursday, July 29, 2010

Diet on the Spectrum




Gluten free, casein free, all-natural, organic, yeast free, sugar free, pro-biotic, and the list could continue indefinitely, a list of diets promoted by some to yield miraculous results and even cure autism. Do they really work? Or, are they just hype? I’m no expert, but I am a mother of a child on the spectrum. I’ve tried a lot of different things looking for the best diet for him, and I thought I would share what I’ve learned in our experimentation.

My son’s digestive issues showed up in infancy. While breast-feeding him, I had to stay away from dairy products. After weaning and starting him on whole milk, we started to see more severe symptoms (The Beginning). For the following year, we fed him organic, natural products that were free of the allergens we discovered. During this diet he went from being a fussy, sickly child to a happy, playful toddler.

When his delay in motor and language development became more obvious and harder to explain away, and when other symptoms like head banging, toe walking, hand flapping and extreme tantrums were added to the mix, we chose to seek a diagnosis (How Do You Know). By the time we saw the doctor, I had reintroduced the major allergens, milk and soy, successfully.

We received his diagnosis just before he turned three (Not My Baby). He still had digestive troubles, something the doctor told us went along with his condition. He began attending an all autism class two days a week, and also received speech and occupational therapy four times a week. We started hearing about the GF/CF diet. Many parents suggested removing sugar and any foods that fed yeast. Some talked about medications and therapies we hadn’t heard of before. Our heads were swimming with all the information. Knowing we didn’t want to cause more harm than good, we weeded through the information, choosing not to consider anything that seemed too experimental or dangerous.

Having been through what we went through with his food allergies, altering his diet didn’t seem so scary. His digestive problems had returned but not with the same predictability they had before. I was optimistic as to what we would discover on this diet. However, I did worry about what he would eat. At that time, the only thing he would drink was milk, and his diet was VERY limited. I gathered all the information I could, and we committed to 3 months on the gluten free, casein free (GF/CF) diet.

It was hard getting him to let go of the foods he loved, but I worked hard to have acceptable alternatives for him. I discovered Bob’s Red Mill and Ghee, and started getting the hang of the whole thing. Within the first week we were pleased to see initial calming of his digestive symptoms, but had yet to see behavioral changes.

Then there was an explosion of symptoms. He was nearly as sick as he had been at one; only this time, I knew what was happening and what to do. So, I started another food challenge system and food diary, and we discovered he was still allergic to corn and eggs. This time, however, they caused much more violent symptoms.

I then discovered flax seed and egg replacer, agave nectar and Lyles Golden Syrup. We stuck to the diet, and saw dramatic results. He was trying new foods. His appetite grew to the point I wondered if I was ever going to feed him enough. He was curious and excited about meal time. He was calmer, more able to listen. His teachers and therapists reported better behavior and ability to concentrate. We were very pleased.

The three months passed, and I was happy with the results. Still I worried about him not getting the proper amount of fat (needed for proper brain development), protein and calcium. Plus, my curiosity got the better of me. I decided to reintroduce wheat and milk. We started carefully, not wanting to rock the boat, especially with his new found appetite and willingness to try new things. One week passed. Two weeks. Three weeks and so on, back on milk and wheat, he had no negative symptoms either digestive or behavioral.

We decided from this trial that GF/CF is definitely worth a try. It is hard, but not impossible. Going through that trial opened up tastes and textures that I know my son would not have been willing to try had we not taken all of his preferred foods away. I remember reading somewhere that if you can say, “oh, my child only eats ____ or drinks _____.” Then there’s something wrong, and it would probably be a good idea to change things up a little.

Jackson’s current diet is totally corn-free, egg-free (although we’re in an Eggsperiment with eggs), and as natural and sugar free as I can make it. He eats lots of veggies and fruits, whole grains and drinks mostly juice and milk.

We learned a lot in all of our experimentation, and I would encourage any parent to give it a try. Get a notebook and record what your child eats and how they react. Experiment until you find the right diet for your child and your family.

Keep in mind as you take things away that you need to maintain proper nutrition. You need to offer a protein, starch and veggie or fruit for a balanced meal. You also need to ensure your child is receiving the calcium and fat needed for proper childhood development. I would recommend working closely with your pediatrician, therapist or nutritionist.

No comments:

Post a Comment