Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Seeing Autism

There are plenty of days when I don't even notice Jackson's differences. His autism seems to just disappear into the chaos that is our lives. We go about our weekly routine of school and therapy plus sports and church often without a hitch. We have grown so accustomed to it that life is 'normal' even with the occasional hiccup, and we're happy. Inevitably, though, the routine gets changed. A birthday party here, a family get together there, and suddenly there it is, autism in all it's glory.

Sometimes it's manageable, sometimes it's not. Sometimes no one notices, other times it is quite obvious to everyone present. Many times seeing autism in my child brings up the pain and struggle I felt the day I heard the doctor give his diagnosis. But, in the pain of many of these moments I've been taken back by the reaction of family and friends. I have been nearly brought to tears over and over again at their support, acceptance and even their attempts to understand and help.

I am so blessed to be able to say that in our family and circle of friends, when I see autism, I also see love, hope and understanding.

Oh, that it were that way for every child with this diagnosis.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that God has provided you with a loving family to encourage and help you, your husband, and children through all the ups and downs of life!

    ReplyDelete