Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Confessions of a Root Snob


Hello, my name is Rachel. I'm 31 years old, and I've never eaten a parsnip. Of course, I'm always up for trying new things, and when my son asked if we could try parsnips, I had to say I was game. Where does a 7 year old get the idea to try parsnips, Food Network, of course.

I looked up all kinds of recipes, grill them, mash them, roast them. These little mysteries were pretty versatile. I was impressed and inspired. So, I decided I would just roast them like I do any other root veggie we already like. Since I wasn't sure we would like them (although my son assured me that we would because Alton Brown said so), I decided to cook them with potatoes and carrots. Note to self: next time you cook parsnips with potatoes, use a more hearty potato or cut them much bigger. By the time the parsnips and carrots were done, the potatoes I used were a little over done.

I have to say I enjoyed my first parsnip very much. My little guy enjoyed them, too, and he was super proud when I told him I would make sure everyone knew that trying parsnips was his idea. Yay for a new veggie in our house!

Roasted Root Vegetables

4-5 carrots, peeled and sliced (approximately)
4-5 parsnips, peeled and sliced (approximately)
6-7 red potatoes, sliced (Giada De Laurentis uses red bliss potatoes, I don't even know what those are, but thought I would share since the golden kind didn't work out so great for me)
4-5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp basil (approximately)
1 tsp oregano (approximately)
1 tsp thyme (approximately)
1 tsp sugar (approximately, my Memaw says a little bit of sugar makes all the difference for veggies)
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a large shallow pan or cookie sheet. In a large mixing bowl, combine carrots, parsnips and potatoes. Add salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme, sugar and oil and toss to coat. Spread out in the pan. You want a pretty thin layer so it all cooks evenly. Cook for about 30-40 minutes or until fork tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment