Saturday, October 9, 2010

Make Your Own Baking Powder

Since my camera has taken it's last picture, I won't be posting new recipes until I get a new one. In the mean time, I'll share things that have helped me in creating my own allergy free recipes.

One of the best things I figured out was making my own Baking Powder.

1 part Baking Soda (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 part Potato Starch (or any other flavorless starch, corn starch is actually the best, but Jackson's corn allergy doesn't allow for that)
2 parts Cream of Tartar

After mixing, store in an air tight container. I usually mix it using a Tbsp measure. You want to use it before it loses it's potency, usually about 3-4 months. I have no problem with all the baking I do, but you don't want to mix up so much that you can't use it up before it goes bad.

After mixing well, you can use it exactly like you would the store bought kind.

Even if Jackson were to outgrow his allergy, I will likely continue using my own baking powder. It makes a difference in the rise and texture of baked goods, and I like knowing exactly what's in my food. 

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I need to read your blog more regularly. I tend to do the monthly catch up, but it seems I am missing some great tips. We bought a grain mill a few months ago, and I am milling wheat and baking bread, muffins, cakes, etc. We are also broke, so I bought a book called Miserly Moms, and have been trying to use recipes and ideas from it. (I have made homemade granola - yum! - and homemade Hershey's-type syrup - tastes just like the real thing for less $$, etc.)

    Hope you are well. I'll try calling sometime before Thanksgiving! =) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kara. I've done that, made my own chocolate syrup (don't anymore because Jackson doesn't like chocolate). I think a lot of the homemade stuff tastes better than the store bought, and since we don't eat a lot of things with that blow you away sweet taste that corn syrup gives or the preservatives, when I eat that stuff, it has a manufactured, almost fake taste to me now.

    I make my own caramel, marshmallows, graham crackers, etc. I'm going to share the recipes, I just haven't had a lot of time for that lately, and my camera hates me. Hopefully, we'll get a new one over Christmas.

    Have you tried making your own sugar syrup for use as a corn syrup substitute? I have to for Jackson, but it really is cheaper since you just use regular sugar, water and a pinch of cream of tartar. I'll share that soon, too.

    ReplyDelete