Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Big Brother

This blog is mostly about food allergies and autism, the two things that have almost single handedly consumed my life for the past 7 years or so. There's a little about my personal oxygen mask project (i.e. running) along with my family and faith, too, but it's mostly short sporadic moments of venting or sharing whatever struggle is facing me that day. When I started writing here, I wasn't sure I wanted to mention my other children. I wasn't sure I wanted to share their lives along with all this, but it's not just my life or Jackson's, but theirs, too. It all intertwines, and we've made it work. Remember that light I mentioned in my last blog post? The one at the end of the tunnel, that blinding scary light? Yeah, well, that light has illuminated more than just the path ahead but the changes that have taken place as our family has grown.

Today is my oldest son's birthday. He's 9. One more year, and I'll have a child in double digits. For some reason that makes me feel old. My oldest (typically developing) son is a very kind, sweet, loving boy with a silly sense of humor and a heart of gold. He spent most of his young little life tagging along as we struggled through all of his brother's medical and developmental problems, and I don't remember him complaining much. The first thing he got to do that was just for him was baseball when he was 5, and for the record, Mommy was the one that insisted he play. We didn't have the money or the time, but I couldn't tell him no anymore. He's now playing travel ball and could easily spend hours practicing every day. He's smart and healthy and a great snuggler even though he's nearly as big as I am. I look forward to watching him grow and become a man. I don't know if it goes along with being the big brother, being a special needs sibling or if it's just who he is (maybe the combination of all three), but he has a very strong protective nature and patience that makes me marvel some days. He's one of the best things that has ever happened to me, and I just had to share how thankful I am for him and all he does to help me. Happy birthday, Jacob!







A boy is truth with dirt on its face,
Beauty with a cut on its finger,
Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair,
And the hope of the future with a frog in its pocket.
Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment