Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Newest Food Discovery: Yellow Cake Mix



Making a cake without eggs is nearly impossible. There is really no substitute for the richness and rise the egg provides. Baking a cake from scratch using my parents corn-free eggs was pretty much my only option, but when I'm pressed for time or just don't feel like pulling everything out, a mix is so nice. I have looked for an egg and corn free cake mix only to be disappointed time and time again. I tried using corn free mixes and substituting the egg and ended up with an unrisen dense biscuit looking cake. I had success using an egg substitute using the Betty Crocker Gluten Free cake mix, but the taste was very different. Only Jackson and I would eat it.

I never stop looking, though. When I shop, I often will look for interesting products and check the labels to see if I can find something new. As I was picking up some baking needs, I noticed this adorable pink box. Right on the front it said, egg free. I picked it up looking to see if it was corn free, and it was. I looked at the directions and saw that it didn't even call for egg. So, I picked it up and decided I needed to try this mix to see if it was worth keeping around. 

Cherrybrook Kitchen Yellow Cake Mix 

I used the mix to make cupcakes for a Thanksgiving thing at Jackson's school, and he gobbled them up! They definitely didn't taste the same as the Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker cake mixes, but they rose well, browned well and tasted pretty good considering they contained no egg. This is definitely a mix I will be keeping on hand for those 'oh no, that's tomorrow?' situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment