Sunday, December 15, 2013

Love Like Reagen

One year ago today, a friend of mine from college lost her 10 year old daughter to malignant hyperthermia. Her name was Reagen. I never got to meet Reagen even though for a good portion of her life our families only lived about an hour apart. Her mom and I kept in touch and would talk about getting together, but life kept moving at light speed. Much of that time I was juggling therapies and school and doctor appointments for Jackson and trying to achieve as much of a routine as I could. Wrapped up in my own struggles, I just didn't ever think I would run out of time.

The night I learned of Reagen's death, I remember crumbling into tears. Jacob was next to me and didn't understand. It was so hard to look at him and explain as I thought about what it would be like to lose him.

Reagen had a very generous heart, she loved Jesus and dessert. Her parents say, when they were out to eat, she would often spend her own money to buy everyone dessert. They asked for those who would like to remember Reagen, to go out today on the anniversary of her death, buy someone a dessert, share Jesus and the love and generosity that Reagen loved to share.

We didn't go out to eat today, but after I dropped my oldest son off at baseball practice, I asked my younger two where they would like to have dessert. They both said Brain Freeze (a local frozen yogurt place). I wasn't sure it was the best idea for what I wanted to do, but I had already asked and couldn't back out now. There was no one there when we arrived, and no one came in while we were there. This would likely have to do with the super cold temps and the fact that it's December. The boy working the register, whose name was Cameron, said we were the 3rd customers all day. I was a little disappointed, but then as I was gathering Jackson and his sister to go, I decided maybe Cameron should be the one to love like Reagen. So, I shared Reagen's story, her parents' request and how much Jesus loved him. Then, I gave him a little gas money. By this point, I was crying, and I could see his eyes watering, too. We talked for a little bit, hugged and said goodbye. I didn't get to share a dessert, but I did get to share Reagen's story and Jesus' love.

Reagen's parents wanted to hear all the stories from those participating, and I wanted to share. Tonight, my heart is heavy for her sweet family and for all who knew her. As I pray for all of them tonight, I will look forward to meeting this precious girl who has touched the lives of so many people, many she never met. Because in Jesus, death is never the end. It's only the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment